quesWife mentally sick, not wiling to take medicines. What should i do?

My wife is mentally sick and she is also not wiling to take medicines for the same or consult a doctor. What can i do in such a scenario? Can i force her take medicine or can i divorce her on this ground?

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansYou cannot force anyone to take medicine against the person's will. However mental illness or unsound mind is definitely a ground for divorce under section 13(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. It is advisable to approach an advocate and go for a contested divorce on the ground of unsound mind in the appropriate court.

      Advocate Kasturi Sharma

        Keshavpuram, Delhi

    • ansYou can file for divorce under Section 13 of teh Hindu Marriage Act. For attracting section 13(1)(iii), either of the following two conditions have to be fulfilled.

      1. The respondent should be incurably of unsound mind.
      2. The respondent should have been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably by expected to live with the respondent.
      So far as the second condition is concerned, you will have to prove two elements, namely, mental disorder and at the same time that the disease must be of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent.

      So, proof of one element is insufficient to grant a decree.

      Advocate Mishika Singh

        Lajpat Nagar 1, Delhi

    • ansDear Sir,

      It is advisable that you all take medical help may be a psychiatrist who can help get with taking medicines.

      Cruelty is a ground for divorce. if you think that her behavior by not consuming medicines is cruelty for you...then you can divorce her on that ground.

      Advocate Sonia Saini

        Dwarka, Delhi

    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    my divorce case is going on in allahabad, can i give poa to my brother…
    my sisters husband and his family members harassing her.she is very disturb. harassment can be…

    Husband of one of my friend is will to give divorce to her as she…

    Meri marriege 2008 m hui thi aur beta 7 year ab 1 year 5 month…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly