quesWife harassing me. Can i get divorce and custody of children?

My wife has been harassing me since I bought a few properties in her name as well. She always insults me and finds ways to provoke me so that once I hit her, she can file a complaint against me. She has already complained to the Police twice as her brother is in the Police. Last night she went to the extent of locking up herself and did not allow me in the home. We have 2 sons aged 6 and 8 years.


How can I get a divorce from her and how can I get the custody of my children? My wife is not working and keeps demanding money to buy random things.


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      Firstly, we would like to suggest you that do not hit your wife or give her reasons to file a police complaint against you. 


      Secondly, to safeguard yourself, try to collect evidence to prove that the allegations being made against you are false and you are been provoked by uncalled, unparliamentary language used by your wife. These may be in the form of recordings, SMS etc. Any material that can prove that you did not harass her or did not subject her to domestic violence could be held as vital proof.


      Thereafter, intimate the Police that you suspect that your wife shall initiate false cases against you.


      You can also file a complaint against your wife’s brother for the offense of criminal intimidation and threat and misuse of his official position. 


      Your wife harassing you by means of not allowing you in house or locking herself is subjected to mental cruelty. You can file a petition for divorce under Section 13 (1) (ia) on the grounds of cruelty. Cruelty has been interpreted by the Hon'ble Supreme Court to include both physical as well as mental cruelty. The acts of your husband enumerated by you clearly come within the ambit of mental cruelty. Thus, a Divorce can be sought on this ground.


      You shall also need to file a petition for the custody of the children if you wish to retain the same. The Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act states that the ‘natural guardian of a Hindu minor, in respect of the minor’s person as well as in respect of the minor’s property …. in the case of a boy or unmarried girl is the father, and after him, the mother, provided that the custody of a minor who has not completed the age of five years shall ordinarily be with the mother. 


      We suggest that you should engage an Advocate and file the petition for Divorce and for the custody of your children.


      About the properties you bought in her name can be settled with her as all the payments to purchase that properties has been made by you and you can tell the court that she got registered these in her name by threatening you to do so.



    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    My brother is not happy with her wife and he wont to divorce her then…
    My wife is having affairs and 6 time syucit Tring so I have live but…

    In Domestic violence case can we proceed for Mutual divorce or I need to apply…

    My son and daughter-in-law are shifting out from our joint family as the daughter-in-law is…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly