quesWife doesn't treat my parents well. Can i divorce her on that ground?

I was married on 2011. My parents visits me every year for one months. My wife doesn't respect them and tolerate them. Can i file for divorce on this ground? Do i have to pay her something as well?

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansDear Sir,

      There are grounds for divorce. Cruelty is one of the ground for divorce.

      If you feel that your wife is disrespectful towards your parents and that causes a mental injury to you you can contest cruelly against her and take divorce on that ground.

      Please feel free to revert.

      Advocate Sonia Saini

        Dwarka, Delhi

    • ansYou can file divorce on this Ground as this constitutes mental cruelty. However, unless you have a strong evidence, it would be extremely difficult for you to prove the same. Thus, you need to plan everything collect evidence such as text messages that she must be sending showing her disrespect towards your parents, phone call recordings and also install camera in the common area of your house. Be cautioned that you do not utter any non-sense or do anything which may run against you.

      If your wife is working and earning well, then barring stridhan you needn't pay her anything as it will be a contested divorce. But this seldom happens in India. Therefore, you may be required to shell out some money to get the divorce.

      If your wife is not working, then you will have to pay her alimony and until divorce is granted, you will have to pay interim maintenance.


      Advocate Kunal Sabharawal

        Panchsheel Enclave, Delhi

    • ansYes divorce can be obtained on this ground as it may form a component of act of cruelty committed by your wife on you. Yes you can file divorce petition and also you will have to pay for the maintenance, if you are covered by the relevant Act.

      Advocate Gaurav Kumar Singh

        Greater Kailash I, Delhi

    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    My marriage was done in 5 Feb-2016, after 10 months i found my wife is…
    I got married in temple on Feb 2016. After marriage my hubby consoled me and…

    have filed a case on my husband on last year ago that is 498 a…

    1) We both are working professional and staying in Glasgow (UK) at the moment. 2)…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly