What legal remedies do i have to get rid of harassing wife?

What legal remedies to I have to get rid of this harassment in life? I’ve been married for 19 years now. I have always been very affectionate but people misused my goodness always. My wife has a habit of stealing. On confronting on several occasions we get into a huge fight. She doesn’t let me live the way I want.


Torture is another problem I am made to face frequently. What should I do?




Assuming you are Hindus, you will be governed by Hindu Marriage Act.


Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act which covers divorce has been reproduced below for your better understanding.


Section 13(1) states that a petition may be presented by either the husband or the wife, for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground that the other party-


i. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, had voluntary, sexual intercourse with any person other than his or her spouse; or


a. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or


b. has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition; or


ii. has ceased to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion; or


iii. has been incurably of unsound mind, or has been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent.


Explanation.- In this clause,-


a. the expression" mental disorder" means mental illness, arrested or incomplete development of mind, psychopathic disorder or any other disorder or disability of mind and includes schizophrenia;


b. the expression" psychopathic disorder" means a persistent disorder or disability of mind (whether or not including sub- normality of intelligence) which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible conduct on the part of the other party, and whether or not it require or is susceptible to medical treatment; or


iv. has been suffering from a virulent and incurable from of leprosy; or


v. has been suffering from venereal disease in a communicable from; or


vi. has renounced the world by entering any religious order; or


vii. has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of it, had that party been alive.


So as per the above mentioned Section, you may seek a decree for dissolution of marriage (divorce) under Section 13 (1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, the grounds of cruelty (mental or physical) being inflicted upon you by her. 


Secondly, we suggest you to start gathering evidence such as recording of the conversation with your wife. In case at later stage if your wife files criminal complaint under 498 A IPC, these recordings or any other evidence will try to safeguard your interest and can be used at the time of your defense.


In the meanwhile, you can intimate the nearest Police Station about the facts of your case and about her unscrupulous behavior.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My sister is going for divorce as she cannot live with her false husband. He has cheated with his words before marriage and after marriage. He mentall…

Read More

Hii, my husband drinks a lot & he hit for money. he also speak valgaour language . I can't stay with him. so i require divorce…

Read More

i am married person but i am love with some other girl and want to marry her but my wife is not ready to give divorce.. she filed twice against me and…

Read More

Hi i am muslim male 33 yrs. married for 11 months in islamic way and not throught court. I am not happy and mentally tortured as my wife's and my …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue