quesWhat is the procedure and how much time will mutual divorce take?

My wife wants a Mutual Divorce and wants to marry her boyfriend after Divorce. And I also want to start a new life with someone. We had an arranged Marriage in Oct, 2012. Now we are fighting since the 1st Day of Marriage. We are not compatible with each other.

We both are separated since more than 1 year. So now we both want a Mutual Divorce as soon as Possible. So what is the procedure and how much time will it take?

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans

      Arriving at a decision to part ways mutually if things don't work out between you and your spouse is the best, easiest and the most time effective way to get a Divorce.

      Assuming you both are Hindus, Mutual Divorce is recognized under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act.

      Details of Divorce by Mutual Consent:

      Section 13B states that the parties can jointly move a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce in the District Court on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

      The Court shall then record the joint statement of the Parties and pass a First Motion Order giving time of 6 month to the parties to resolve their dispute, however in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce. 

      So, therefore divorce by mutual consent takes about 6-7 months. You may engage a lawyer to file your petition and proceed accordingly.


    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    My father is a government employee and has a fixed pension coming to his account.…
    Hi i am muslim male 33 yrs. married for 11 months in islamic way and…
    Meri shadi mere gharwalo ne dabaw me kar di thi chhuki main apni iccha se…
    I am married for four months and after my marriage i came to know that…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly