What can be done if sister's husband harasses her and threatens us?

What can we do if my sister’s husband is troubling her & our family? My sister who got married in the next lane to our home is now not staying with her husband but lives with us. There are no male members in our family so her husband takes undue advantage of it.


He has been calling her since 10 days; threatening her saying he will harm us. He drinks a every day and visits our lane & shouts & abuses.


We had complained the police when said he will not do it again but started the whole thing again. He had also filed a Conjugal Rights Case. He says he will not stop his misbehavior even if we go to the Supreme Court.




First of all, we suggest you to draft a complaint in writing and get it registered at the nearest police station under section 498A of the Indian penal code and under the protection of women from domestic violence Act.


Further no one can legally force your sister to stay with her husband and the husband cannot even stop your sister from filing divorce petition.


Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act which covers divorce has been reproduced below for your better understanding.


Section 13(1) states that a petition may be presented by either the husband or the wife, for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground that the other party-


i. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, had voluntary, sexual intercourse with any person other than his or her spouse; or


a. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or


b. has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition; or


ii. has ceased to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion; or


iii. has been incurably of unsound mind, or has been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent. 


Explanation.- In this clause,-


a. the expression" mental disorder" means mental illness, arrested or incomplete development of mind, psychopathic disorder or any other disorder or disability of mind and includes schizophrenia;


b. the expression" psychopathic disorder" means a persistent disorder or disability of mind (whether or not including sub- normality of intelligence) which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible conduct on the part of the other party, and whether or not it require or is susceptible to medical treatment; or


iv. has been suffering from a virulent and incurable from of leprosy; or


v. has been suffering from venereal disease in a communicable from; or


vi. has renounced the world by entering any religious order; or


vii. has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of it, had that party been alive.


So as per the above mentioned Section, your sister can seek a decree for dissolution of marriage (divorce) on any of the above mentioned grounds.


Depending upon the facts of your case, the ground shall have to be decided. Your sister may file it under the grounds of cruelty which includes mental as well as physical cruelty or any other ground which you feel can be fitted in your circumstances.


So your sister may file a petition under Section 13(1) seeking decree for dissolution of marriage in the competent court.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Mera pati mujpe shak krta hai. Muje ghar se bhar nikal rakha hai. Mujpe juthe iljam lagata hai jab mai apne ghar jati hu ki tera affer hai. Kyuki usko…

Read More

My niece was married in West Bengal in January 2013. She then she has been facing mental torture. I want to know what all rights does she have and wha…

Read More

I want to take divorce from my husband as we marry on 28th October 2017 and stayed together only for ten days as he is living in abroad nd after 20day…

Read More

can i file divorce  without any issues can I settled it from family concern or shall I go with legal action I'm in a very bad mental conditio…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue