We are seeking divorce. Can husband ask for residence in wife's house?

The home in which we stay is in my wife’s name and was gifted to her by her brother. Now we are seeking a divorce after 25 years of our marriage and the household expenses are taken care of by my pension. My wife and children are not working.


Can I claim a right to residence in my wife’s home after divorce? How much alimony / maintenance would I have to give?




Firstly, with respect to right of residence, under the Hindu Laws, the right of residence is only recognized for the wives. There is no such provision which gives right of residence to the husband. So you legally cant claim right of residence in the house which is gifted by your wife's brother. 


However, if you made any alterations in the last 25 years then you are entitled to that when the assets are distributed at the time of divorce.


Furthermore, do not leave the house on your own. She will have to move to court to get a vacate order so as to force you to leave the house. Until then you can stay in the house.


Now coming to maintenance, as you are also on pension, the Court shall be lenient while deciding the quantum of maintenance as it varies from case to case and it is up to the Courts discretion, there is no fixed formula.


Deciding the amount of alimony / maintenance is the discretion of the Court.


The sum and period of alimony generally depends upon how long the marriage existed. Marriages that lasted more than 10 years are entitled to be granted a life long alimony. Age of the spouse is also taken into consideration while awarding alimony. 


Normally, a young recipient of alimony gets it for a smaller period of time if the court thinks that he or she will soon be able to become financially sound through prospective career excellence. Alimony is also in vogue in order to equalize the economic condition of both the spouses. The higher earning spouse is entitled to pay a heavy amount as alimony.


The spouse who is projected to be enjoying a prosperous career is liable to pay high alimony amount. If one of the spouses is suffering from poor health, the other is subjected to payment of high alimony to ensure proper medication and well being of the other spouse.



Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

my self xyz, working as lecturer in a private college and getting Rs 10000/ per month and my wife is a govt employee and she may earning nearly Rs4000…

Read More

married at the age of 16 in 2005. i dont like my wife, i was married along with my elder brother. Even after denying to maintain the marriage, my pare…

Read More

Sir/Madam, got married in 2002.her Husband is taking responsibility for wife and child (since birthd) education daily exp, schooling etc..reason was l…

Read More

WHat are the options for divorce and can maintenance be asked once divorce granted…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue