Procedure to get amicable divorce

How do you get an amicable divorce

Answers (2)

203 votes

Procedure to be followed for filing a petition of divorce by mutual consent-

1. Both the parties need to file together a petition seeking divorce before the District court.
2. Before filing of the petition, married couple should make sure that they are living separately for a period of one
year or more. After petition is allowed, parties are required for filing of statement.
3. Couple seeking divorce by mutual consent will have to give reason why they are not able to live together and
mention in the petition that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the
marriage should be dissolved.
4. Court after a period of 6 months and not more than 18 months (cooling-off period) will give a date for listening
to the parties.
5. Engage a lawyer to help you out with the rest of the process.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

322 votes

The couple who is willing to separate by way of mutual divorce, they have to settle first on consent terms, if they have pending give and take liabilities, in terms of if any permanent alimony, if jewellery, if any investments, if any property, child maintaince, custody, access of child timings,joint parenting plan, etc. The consent terms are decided amicable and then have 5o file petition for divorce in family court, first date consent terms are finalised in court. Time is given of six months to complete compliance of consent terms. Second date which is final date to complete divorce procedure with affidavit and signature for divorce decree.
If couple has agreed amiably to part without any allegations on each other by way of MCD can go ahead for amicable divorce or mutual consent divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles