Physical violence since marriage. Can i file mutual divorce petition?

My husband beat me up at my mother’s place and left by saying he is ready for a divorce. He has been physically violent since the first day of my 6.5 year old marriage. I tolerated it so far but I can’t take it anymore as it is impacting our 5 year old daughter as well.


What legal action can I take against him for the welfare of my child? Can I file a mutual divorce petition and send it to him for his signature as I want to end this as soon as possible?




Firstly, we would suggest you to register a complaint for cruelty under Section 498 A of the Indian Penal Code or for domestic Violence under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act or both.


We would like to specify that the complaint under Indian Penal Code is a Criminal Complaint while the Complaint under Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act is more of civil nature.


Thereafter, you should file a complaint before the Court praying for Protective Orders, Monetary Relief, Compensation Orders and even Custody Orders of your daughter. Furthermore, you can even claim maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.


Now with respect to divorce:


1. Divorce by mutual consent:


Mutual Divorce is recognized under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act.


Section 13 B states that the parties can jointly move a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce in the District Court on the grounds that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.


The Court shall then record the joint statement of the Parties and pass a First Motion Order giving time of 6 months to the parties to resolve their dispute. However, in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce. Therefore, divorce by mutual consent takes about 6-7 months. 


Herein you should enter into an agreement with your husband as to the terms and conditions of the divorce and the amount of maintenance / alimony, stridhan etc.


2. Divorce on the grounds of cruelty:


You can file a petition for dissolution of marriage on the grounds of cruelty under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act. The Courts have recognized both physical and mental cruelty within the ambit of this provision. You shall have to adduce evidence of torture and harassment and the divorce shall be granted.


3. File a separate petition for the custody of your daughter claiming sole custody with maintenance for yourself and your daughter.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

i am getting married 14 Dec 2016 , wife behavior very unpredictable, she is have daily given new reason to not doing work home IE. my tiff-in, breakfa…

Read More

Can Alimony be asked in a Mutual consent divorce? Is yes can it be filed at this stage? Second hearing on 11/11 husband may not come. How to compel hi…

Read More

How many time get after filing a mutual divorce…

Read More

I am christian and got married 2 years back in the year 2015 for 2 months. I have stayed seperate for almost 2 years. Initially, I was going through a…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue