quesNon residential Indian for divorce.

I am an Indian national, so is my (ex)-wife. I am a UK resident since 2009, and my (ex) wife came here in Feb 2013 We married in India in sept. 2012, and she migrated to join me in UK on 20th Feb 2013. Now, I have filed divorce petition in a UK court on 19th May 2014 and submitted the original marriage certificate with it. We are waiting to hear from the court.

I have a few queries- While the case is under consideration at a UK court, can she go to India and file for a divorce there? If we get a divorce here, can she go to an Indian court and apply for maintenance there? Given the fact that she is able bodied and has a masters degree from India, is she likely to get any maintenance if she applies through an Indian court?

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansAs per your queries my opinion is as under, while the case is under consideration at a UK court, yes she can return to India and file divorce case here against you. Yes she can file maintenance case in India.

      Given the fact that she is able bodied and has a masters degree from India, if she is unable to maintain herself and left your company with sufficient reason then she will be entitled to get maintenance otherwise not.

    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    I have done court marriage last year in August. Nut my wife dosen't live with…
    Sir i got married on last year May. I am from ambala and doing job…
    My husband's behaviour has suddenly changed after 11 months of marriage and he don't want…

    if a family is filed with the sections 498a, 406, 506, 323, 34, what is…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly