Mother is 63 years old can she get maintenance on filling for divorce

I am 26 years old girl from Punjab. I have two elder siblings ( brother of 32 and sister of 29 years old). My mother is retired from Indian railway. Till now, she paid for all the expenses spent on us for the education, health and every thing. My father didn't even spent single rupee on us. They are not divorced. But now my mother want to be separated from him. Now, she is 62 years old and my so called father is 64 years old. My father owns a house in mohali. He took early retirement from job. Kindly suggest me, Can my mother get some money if she take divorce from my father?

Answers (1)

287 votes

Yes she can. But it will depend whether she has any source of income of her own. Also the earnings of your father will be an important factor. She can also claim residence in the property. Further, she can also claim share if she contributed to build the house.
My advice as human being - Take care of your mother. She is too old to get into this sort of legal mess - so resort to court procedure only if absolutely necessary.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles