×

quesMental condition hidden during marriage. What can i do?

I got married in April 2014. My husband’s behavior was very strange from the very first day.We never had a normal married life.

About 4 months ago I found out that my husband has schizophrenia and this fact has been concealed from me from the very beginning. I feel cheated by my husband and also by my in laws.

My in laws never let me meet my husband before marriage and would always make up a false story. What can I do?

Assuming you are Hindus.

You can file for divorce under section 13(1)(iii) of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 wherein ‘mental disorder’ is a specific ground for divorce. The expression "mental disorder" means mental illness, arrested or incomplete development of mind, psychopathic disorder or any other disorder or disability of mind and includes schizophrenia.

You can also file a complaint against your in laws and your husband for Cheating under the India Penal Code and also you can file a complaint against your husband and in laws in the Women’s cell. You can also file a case against your husband seeking maintenance. 

• File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers

Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services