Married as minors. How to avoid giving maintenance after divorce?

What do I do if my wife’s family has put a maintenance case against me in the district court wherein I am willing to take a Divorce but not pay her an amount of 5 Lakhs? I got married against my wish and will at the age of 17 and my wife was only 12 years. I told her family that when I start earning I will take her with me.


Now I am 26 and got a job 6 months ago. My wife’s parents came to know of that and are now forcing me to take her. I confessed that the marriage happened against me wish and now they demand a compensation of 5 lakhs.


What can I do?




Firstly, with respect to the child marriage laws in India, even though it is illegal, the child marriages is voidable at the discretion of the husband and wife as per a recent Supreme Court judgement. 


However, in your case, the marriage is consummated and now you cannot claim the marriage as void and the court shall recognize it as a valid marriage. Now coming to the maintenance, we have to examine the application filed by your wife. The application of the maintenance is either filed under Section 24 of Hindu Marriage Act or under Section 125 CRPC (Criminal Procedure Code), so we have to examine under which provision of law your wife has filed the application.


We suggest you to defend the application and there have been number of cases wherein Court has refused maintenance on the grounds like if the wife refuses to stay with the husband, if they are living separately by mutual consent or if she is living in adultery, or where she has sufficient means to maintain herself.


Depending on the facts of your case, you can plead any of the ground mentioned above in your reply. If you have a valid ground and if the Court is satisfied, the court can refuse maintenance. 


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My husband left me here in India to my parents just after 1 month of marriage because I had a seizure and went to California without telling its been …

Read More

Hindu general. my husband have got second marriage after getting exparte divorce with out knowing me .but the girl whom he married she also have cheat…

Read More

Hi , I have been mutually divorced since a year now. My X had agreed for 25000 monthly maintenance for my daughter, after 7 months he has approached c…

Read More

I have filed a DV maintenance case and am staying in my husband's house with our son. My husband is staying somewhere else since the case started …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue