Maintanence during divorce notice period

My husband has file a divorce petition.I am living in my inlaws ancestral house in the upper wing with my two children. He is staying in the ground floor.Can I claim for maintenance from my earning husband for three of us.In what amount and the time period .

Answers (2)

144 votes

You can file a petition under section 24 of hindu marriage act along with reply to the petition of divorce filed by your husband .court is duty bound to decide your petition for maintainance first then proceed to decide petition for divorce. TAs per law court is duty bound to decide maintainance petition within 60 days from the date of filing of reply to your petition. Amount of maintainance depends on proof of income of your husband or else courts belives it to be reasonable in absence of proof.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

142 votes

Yes you and your children are entitled to maintenance from your husband regardless of the divorce petition filed by him. The maintenance will be payable from the application and the amount will depend on your husbands income, yours and your children's living standard etc.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles