Is a live in relation legal if i am a married person?

In Divorce Law

I am married since 6 months and my wife is not living with me because she does not like me. She just likes my property and job (I am a software engineer).

Now I want to live with my girlfriend without marriage, and I heard that Supreme Court has ruled that live-in relationship is legal and not a crime. I want to know if a Live-in relationship between me and my girlfriend is legal for me after marriage?

Answers (1)

161 votes

To live in a live-in relatioship is legal, provided that you are not at the same time married to another woman. If you are married, though seperated / or not living with your spouse, and living with some other lady, you are living in adultery, which is a ground for divorce.

Now coming to your situation that your wife is not living with you, you can file a petition for divorce on various grounds as provided under the Hindu Marriage Act, provided you are able to prove those in the court of law.

However, you can also talk to your wife and if both of you are agreeable, then you can opt for divorce through mutual consent, but you have to wait for one year of seperation for the same.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles