In love with unmarried girl. Wife threatens to kill me. What can I do?

I got married to a girl 1 year ago on 6th feb 2013 and my family forced me to marry her. I love another girl who is not married. My wife knows abut my relationship and she is not ready to get separated and my parents also support her.


Sometimes my wife and her family threaten me by saying that they will destroy me or kill me. Since my marriage I lived with my wife for maximum of 50 days till date. She is not living in my home. 


I want to get Divorce from her anyhow. Please help me.




Yours is a tricky situation, as on one end, you have been 'forced' to marry a girl whom you are not compatible with and who is threatening & harassing you, and on the other hand you love another girl, and your affair is known to your wife. Moreover, the fact that your family supports your wife makes the situation all the more worse for you.


If you look at it neutrally, you and your wife are both legally wrong in your own respective ways. You are wrong as you are in an adulterous relation which accounts for infedility and your wife is wrong as she is harassing and threatening to kill you, which amounts to cruelty under the ambit of Hindu Marriage Act 1955 and is also a Criminal Offence.


There's something known as the 'first-mover-advantage' wherein the person acting first gets certain benefits and advantages and the person responding and clarifying to the allegations is on the back foot.


Hereby, we suggest that you act promptly and file a petition for Divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 on grounds of Cruelty - Section 13(1)(i-a) HMA. You may also want to apprise your family of the situation and tell them about the threats you are receiving to get support from them in your petition.


As an immediate security and safeguarding measure, you may also file a Police complaint against your Wife and her family for the threats that you and your family are getting from your Wife and her family to kill you. This will also be a good supporting document in your Divorce petition.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My brother marriage took place in 28 march 2016 after one month his wife went to her parents and she make allegation on my sister and mother which is …

Read More

I am a Hindu Brahmin. Love,arrange Marriage date : 04/03/2014 Place : Mumbai,India I am epileptic,my health went bad after marriage.Wealth & healt…

Read More

How much time it can take? We have a flat in Bangalore, in joint name. Who will get it, so right? We have a daughter of one year nine month. Who will …

Read More

My husband had dropped me at my parents house in jan 2017. He had been visiting a few times until I delivered our baby in June 2017. Post that he visi…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue