×

quesIf we initiate the divorce case, can we get expenses made on marriage?

My sister's in laws dont treat her well and she has returned home 8-10 times in 2 years since she got married. Now if we file a divorce case, what all can we claim as maintenance and marriage expenses.

Assuming you are Hindus,

Incase your sister wants divorce,

then she can file a divorce petition under Section 13 (1) (ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act on the ground of cruelty.

Further your sister can can claim maintenance under Section 125 Crpc or Section 24 of Hindu Marriage Act and permanent alimony under Section 25 of Hindu Marriage Act. 

Therefore permanent alimony can also include the money spent for marriage.