husband refusing to give maintenance to working wife

I want to get divorce from my wife. We have been married for 7 years now and we do not have a child. She is earning a living by working and can support herself. Still she is asking for maintenance. How can i avoid that. Please also advice me on that.

Answers (1)

250 votes
Under Hindu Marriage Act or Under Cr. P.C Section 125 wife cannot be entitled to an interim or permanent maintenance if she is a working lady. The provisions under the Act are to ensure the wife does not live a life of destitute; she has to have a respectable income to support herself. Therefore, in case if she is a working lady then please ensure the following, Collect documentary evidences like bank details, place of work etc., which proves that she is a working lady; Alternatively, under Hindu Marriage Act, a husband can also demand for maintenance; Before approaching a lawyer in Delhi, please have all the evidences beforehand wherein she is earning so that you may avoid maintenance; You MUST attach all the documentary proofs/evidences of her earnings to avoid maintenance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles