How to stay in husband's house safely w/o any torture from in laws?

I have been harassed mentally and physically throughout during my marriage of 12 years. My Husband is alcoholic & has made my & my 10 year old daughter's life miserable. In 2012 I had logged a police complaint against my husband & inlaws, followed by a complaint in the CAW cell. However a compromise was made & I returned to my husbands house & closed the complaint after that. 

However things didn't change even after that. My husband & in laws want to drag me & my daughter out of their home, but I am living there forcibly. I don't want to give a divorce but want to stay in that house only safely.

Please help.

Answers (1)

237 votes

If you do not want a Divorce, then you can firstly register a complaint in the Police Station and CAW Cell. (i.e. follow the same process which you had done earlier).

Thereafter, file a petition under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act for right of residence. As per this Act, the husband is under an obligation to provide for residential accommodation for the wife and therefore the same can be claimed by the wife.

You can also claim maintenance under the Act or even under the Code of Criminal Procedure for yourself and your daughter.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles