How to get divorce from irresponsible husband? Bad home environment.

My husband has been abusive since the first day of my marriage and I have been mentally stressed ever since. He does not even give proper expenses for the household maintenance and does not take any responsibility.


I am 49 years old now and have 2 sons aged 25 years and 19 years, and their life and studies are also impacted due to the environment at home.


I want a Divorce now and my sons are also of the same opinion and support me for the decision. How should I proceed?




We are sorry for the kind of hardships you have suffered for such a long period of time. However, it is a good thing that your sons have been supporing you and your decision.


Once you have decided and are very sure to part ways, as seems to be the case after going through your long standing struggle and hardships borne by you, the easiest and the quickest way is to file for a Divorce by mutual consent wherein both the parties are equally willing and give their consent to the Divorce petition. The process involves a simple petition and the Divorce is granted after 6 months under ideal circumstances.


However, we feel that your husband might not be willing to settle for the Divorce through mutual consent. In such a case, and in view of the hardships you have faced, you can file a petition for Divorce on the ground of cruelty and torture meted out to you at the hands of your husband, wherein you can give a detailed description of all the instances of cruelty.


Cruelty under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955  includes mental as well as physical cruelty.


Since both your sons are major, there shall be no dispute about the custody of the child as they can now very well decide to stay with either of you. You can also file a complaint under the Domestic Voilence Act and seek the various reliefs thereunder.


One of the most important features of the Act is the woman’s right to secure housing. The Act provides for the woman’s right to reside in the matrimonial or shared household, whether or not she has any title or rights in the household. This right is secured by a residence order, which is passed by a court.


The other relief envisaged under the Act is that of the power of the court to pass protection orders that prevent the abuser from aiding or committing an act of domestic violence or any other specified act, entering a workplace or any other place frequented by the abused, attempting to communicate with the abused, isolating any assets used by both the parties and causing violence to the abused, her relatives and others who provide her assistance from the domestic violence.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Mai fabiha shadi k 6yrs hue hai 2kids hai doughtr 5yrs son4yrs ka. Mere hsbnd ka shadi se phle se apne rshte ki bhabhi se affair hai so wo muje physcl…

Read More

Dear Sir, Due my wife's intolerant torture, I have divorced. In turn she filed false 498a initially. Later the court where I filed divorce, she wa…

Read More

Dear sir my husband wants divorce at that time I don't want divorce so he but a case on me with the reason am mentally changed am tocharing him I …

Read More

Hi I got married in may2015.After my marriage my inlaws were not happy with the marriage arrangements and they were mentally abused sasu ma told…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue