queshow much share wife can claim in joint property where i pay loan emi

we bought a flat in joint name where the bank loan of 80% of the flat cost is in my name and now we have filed for a divorce. wanted to know how much share can my wife claim in the flat as all the loan emi is being paid by me only.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansIn such a case many things are considered.
      Firstly, the property bought in joint name is the sole property that you and your wife resided or residing. OR an additional property that is bought as an asset or source of income.
      Secondly, the earning capacity of each spouse and current stability.
      Thirdly, the children and their well being.

      In the above, if the property is the resident of the family then the same shall be divided equally since you are the bread earner for the family so amount wife paid shall not be considered rather that too shall be given in addition to her. If, she is a homemaker and not earning or incapable of being self sufficient.
      In other cases, the Assets movable or immovable shall again be equally divided but depending on the share of each spouse and also the share of the children if any.

      Advocate Shalini Kapila

        Dubai Creek Tower, Dubai

    • ansYour wife will be entitled to 50% of teh property irrespective of who is paying the EMI as she is a joint oner of the flat. You are advised to stop paying the EMI and let the bank proceed with auction. You are also advised not to buy any property before the divorce gets finalised.

      Word of caution: Your wife will be entitled to 50% of teh amount you receive from auction as well.

      Advocate Mishika Singh

        Lajpat Nagar 1, Delhi

    • ansDear Sir,
      To answer this question it is necessary to inspect the sale deed and the other title documents.

      There can be situation that you have applied for loan and your wife is co applicant as well chi owner or co owner but not co applicant. The percentage of holding would depend upon the title deed

      Advocate Sonia Saini

        Dwarka, Delhi

    • File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers
      Know More

      Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    can you please let me know the process for mutual separation. i had a kid…
    My daughter has filed a divorce petition on and her husband also filed a divorce…
    4 month of my marriage. My husband has an affair before marriage. First night he…
    I am suffering form my child marriage. .now i want to free from my wife.becuse…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

     Experience: 17 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly