quesHow is maintenance for child calculated when both parents are working?

I want to know what is the calculation method for maintenance of children when both the parents are working. One daughter is 18 years and one son 11 years. Due to recession I am unemployed at present since the last 10 months. Wife is in Govt. job and earning a gross salry of about 1.2 lakh.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans

      There is no fixed formula for calculation of maintenance payable under the Hindu Marriage Act. The same is ascertained on the basis of various factors i.e., the life style of the parties, the salary of the spouses, the living standards. the monthly expenses towards the housing, food, education of children, medical facilites etc.


      However, the courts do apply a simple ideology that if a husband earns Rs. 100/ per month and the family consists of four people, then subject to the aforesaid factors, the 2/5 shall go to the wife while 3/5 shall be with the husband, as he has also to incur expenses to earn his livelihood. 


      When the husband is unemployed, as in your case, while the wife is working,  he can also seek maintenance from the wife, however, it is in only handful of cases that the wife is directed to maintain the husband, unless the husband is for some, physical or mental reasons, unable to earn a livelihood.

    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    Dear sirs, I am a foreigner (from Europe) who married Indian in 2014. I left…

    i made a mistake in 2013 i went to goa with one of my friend…

    My husband after 4 months of marriage left me he & my inlaws wanted dowry…

    Retired 2-3 months back from Army. My wife doesn't want to stay with me. Her…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly