How do courts decide that husband have sufficient mean to pay alimony?

In Divorce Law

What is the definition and scope of 'sufficient means' as described under Maintenance act by the Supreme Court? How does a court arrive that the husband have sufficient means to maintain his wife?

Also, what is the definition and scope for the wife to be unable to maintain herself? How does the court work it work out?

Answers (1)

467 votes

The Phrase ‘sufficient means’ has not been defined anywhere, however, the Courts have interpreted the phrase ‘sufficient means’ as that the person should be healthy enough to work and earn a livelihood. The Courts while deciding whether the husband has sufficient means considers the financial status of the Husband which shall include but not limited to his salary, net worth of movable and immovable properties, etc.

Coming to the definition of "wife unable to maintain herself": Where the personal income of the wife is insufficient she can claim maintenance. The test is whether the wife is in a position to maintain herself in the way she was used to in the place of her husband.

In Bhagwan Dutt v. Kamla Devi it was observed that the wife should be in a position to maintain a standard of living which is neither luxurious nor penurious but what is consistent with status of a family. The expression “unable to maintain herself” does not mean that the wife must be absolutely destitute before she can apply for maintenance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles