How can i claim share in in-laws property? Husband staying separate.

My husband and me are staying separate for 9 years. Maintenance case was filed but is was decided ex parte. A case under 498A was alos filed but i dont know the status of the same. My husband's earning is not stable. But there is one thing i know that my in-laws have property in calcutta and delhi. I have a son who is 9 years old. I wanted to know can i claim share in that property? and How?

Answers (1)

316 votes

Assuming you are Hindus,

As per the Indian laws,

you cannot claim share in your husband's parents property.

But, if the property of your husband's parents is ancestral and not self acquired then you son has a share in the property and the same can be demanded by filing a partition suit in the concerned civil court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles