How can a false complaint of domestic violence affect my divorce case?

For how long does a Police complaint remain in the record and is valid? My wife made a false complaint against me after having a fight with me. She made false allegation that I have beaten her, abused her and am having an affair with another girl. We have been married since 1 year 3 months. The Police compromised between both the parties.


My question is that For how long such complaints remain in the record or are valid? In case I file for a Divorce, will this complaint have any relevance in the Court of Law? Can it effect my Divorce case later?




The complaint registered by your wife shall remain in the Police records, however as the matter was settled, the Police shall not be taking any action on the said complaint.


When you file a petition for Divorce, your wife can adduce the said complaint as evidence in the Court of law. She can use the complaint in her reply to your petition for divorce. The Court shall consider the genuineness of the Complaint before holding it against you.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Mera husband aur uske walo ko dahej diya gya pr phir b wo aur demand kar rahe h. Mere husband ka behaviour bohot kharab h. Wo gndi language use karta …

Read More

I (Hindu) got Married in 2010 with notary registration by stating we have just married in a temple. We do not have any pictures of our temple marriage…

Read More

My husband and I had no fights inspite of the fact that earns so little and he had told 4 times the present salary at time of marriage. he drinks, smo…

Read More

I am in a live in relation with a man last 10 years. We did only arya samaj marriage because i was legally married first time to another man at the ti…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue