×

quesHow can a false complaint of domestic violence affect my divorce case?

For how long does a Police complaint remain in the record and is valid? My wife made a false complaint against me after having a fight with me. She made false allegation that I have beaten her, abused her and am having an affair with another girl. We have been married since 1 year 3 months. The Police compromised between both the parties.

My question is that For how long such complaints remain in the record or are valid? In case I file for a Divorce, will this complaint have any relevance in the Court of Law? Can it effect my Divorce case later?

The complaint registered by your wife shall remain in the Police records, however as the matter was settled, the Police shall not be taking any action on the said complaint.

When you file a petition for Divorce, your wife can adduce the said complaint as evidence in the Court of law. She can use the complaint in her reply to your petition for divorce. The Court shall consider the genuineness of the Complaint before holding it against you.

• File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers

Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services