×

quesharassment of wife from the mother in law and husband

a lady known to me - is married for the last 3 years . Her mother in law does not like her ;because this was a love marriage . The mother in law did not approve the bride but the husband and wife were happy , initially . Now after 3 years of marriage , the relations have started to turn sour . The husband does not want to support the wife -. does not pay any allowances . They insist that the wife should cook her own food , while there is a cooking maid in the home . every new sunrise starts with taunts . Ultimately - the wife was fead up and left the home - and presently staying with her parents . negotiations are not reaching anywhere . mother in law is very insistent in not allowing the husband and wife to live to-gather . What can be done in this case

• ansAll depends on what does the wife want. Does she want to end the marriage or make it work? 2. The husband cannot abdicate his duty to financially support his wife. She can file a case for maintenance against him to get the necessary finances. 3. If domestic violence has been meted out to her then she can file a case for domestic violence to seek compensation. She can also, if she wants to return to her matrimonial house, seek a protection order from the court. A protection order is a command from the court to the husband and his family to refrain from subjecting the wife to further violence, failing which the perpetrators can be imprisoned. 4. She can also file a case for the return of her streedhan. 5. If she as been harassed in relation to dowry then she can file a case for dowry harassment. 6. If she wants to terminate the matrimonial tie then she and her husband can file for mutual consent divorce. She may also file unilaterally for divorce if her husband does not agree to mutual divorce.