Filing for divorce what is the procedure

In Divorce Law
Hi, I got married about 5 years back in Goa. Like the typical practice in Goa, we first registered our marriage with the civil registrar and then went for a traditional Hindu wedding (we both are Hindu). I am living in Andheri, Bombay over the past few years and have serious issues with my wife (mental harassment, abuse, bad temper, not allowing me to keep any contact with my family / relatives including mother and father, etc). I wanted to know if I can file for divorce? If yes, should I file it in Goa or Bombay? Since the civil law applicable in Goa is different from the rest of the country, it would be good to have views from lawyers in Goa or lawyers who are familiar with civil law in Goa. Thanks.

Answers (1)

149 votes

I note that u are presently residing/ domiciled in Andheri then it would be advisable to file for divorce under the Hindu marriage act in the family court at andheri itself. I have experienced a ccase which was filed by a hindu husband against his wife both were staying in Mumbai but case was filed in Goa, and the court in Goa after a huge delay of two years dismissed the case as it had no jurisdictions since the disputes in the marriage took place in Mumbai region. Keeping in mind the above I therefore would not advise u to file in Goa

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles