×

quesDomestic Violence Act

I need to know what exactly does a Domestic Violence Act cover?

• ansThe Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 differs from the earlier law, Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code, in that it explicitly defines domestic violence in addition to dowry-related cruelty. Domestic violence is defined as follows:

For the purposes of this Act, any conduct of the respondent shall constitute domestic violence if he,??
      (a) habitually assaults or makes the life of the aggrieved person miserable by cruelty of conduct even if such conduct does not amount to physical ill-treatment; or

(b) forces the aggrieved person to lead an immoral life; or

(c) otherwise injures or harms the aggrieved person.

Nothing contained in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall amount to domestic violence if the pursuit of course of conduct by the respondent was reasonable for his own protection or for the protection of his or another's property.

• File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers

Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services