quesDivorced in Canada. Can I remarry another girl in India? I am a NRI.

Can a NRI guy married in India and Divorced by mutual consent in Canada remarry another girl in India? Is the Canadian Divorce recognized in the Indian legal system?


Please advise.


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      1. With respect to matrimonial disputes, the jurisdiction of courts is determined based on the following considerations:


      i. Where the marriage was solemnized
      ii. Where the couple last stayed together (the matrimonial home)


      If Canada is your matrimonial home then, you are amenable to the jurisdiction of both India and Canada. So you can file a divorce petition in India or in Canada.


      So if you get divorced in Canada by mutual consent, the Divorce decree passed by Canadian Court shall be recognised in India, however, it can be challenged and declared null and void in India on the following grounds:


      i. When Granted by Court not authorised by Indian Law to grant the same
      ii. When one side is not heard or his/her submissions not taken on record
      iii. On a ground not recognised by Indian Law
      iv. When the proceedings are against principles of Natural Justice
      v. If it is obtained by fraud


      In such a case you shall end up divorced in Canada and married in India and you wont be able to remarry in India.


      As you have stated your divorce is by mutual consent, this ground is recognised in the Special Marriage Act and therefore, you need to make sure that the other grounds for challenge are taken care of and your divorce shall be recognised in India.


    • File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers
      Know More

      Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    After being married for 1 year, my wife filed a divorce case againt me. I…

    We were married 2 years ago. Since past 6 months I'm living with my parents,…

    I am having issue with wife. It has been 4 years of marriage with a…
    My husband has filed for divorce in sessions court and I don't want to divorce…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

     Experience: 17 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly