Divorce in spcl marriage act possible w/o having registered marriage?

My nephew’s marriage was not registered under the special marriage act. My nephew is a hindu and his wife is a Christian. They got married from Arya Samaj Mandir but now their marriage is on the rocks.


They did not take permission under the special marriage act. His wife claims that her father is a Christian and her mother is hindu. Can they still apply for a divorce?




We doubt about the validity of your nephew marriage. All inter religion marriage such as between Hindu and Christians have to be solemnized and registered only under the Special Marriage Act,1954. The marriage in Arya Samaj Mandir only has legal validity when marriage is solemnised between two Hindus only and not in cases when one is Hindu and another is Christian.The Hindu marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 requires both parties to be Hindus. In your case you nephew's wife was Christian and if before the Hindu marriage she never converted to Hindu religion, her marriage with a Hindu will be Null & Void.


In addition to this, there are various judicial pronouncement wherein the Court has observed that Hindu married to a non-Hindu in accordance with Hindu rituals cannot seek divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act. 


Further, you have already mentioned that your nephew has not registered under Special marriage Act, so it is clear that he will not be governed by Special marriage Act.


Furthermore, we will have to see all the documents relating to your nephew marriage before giving you the correct legal advice.


Hence we will first examine the validity of the marriage because if your nephew's marriage itself is not valid, the question of divorce does not arise.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I am a hindu man married to a muslim girl for 9 months.Marriage undertook in the presence of both families but not registered under Special Marriage A…

Read More

I'm from trivandrum, Kerala. One month ago I was forced to do marriage registration with a girl without both of our consent in a police station. H…

Read More

I am a full time home maker (a non earning member) & mother to a 2yr old & 5 yr old girls. Husband from Bandra while I come from Andheri. We a…

Read More

1. Let fresh steps be taken for service of notice upon respondent by registered post. 2. Steps be taken within a week. 3. List after service of notice…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue