×

quesCurrently living in Punjab. Can we file for mutual divorce here only?

I want to know the procedure for a Mutual Divorce. We live in Punjab but we’ve been born and brought up in Uttar Pradesh. Can I file the papers in Punjab itself?

Details of Divorce by Mutual Consent:

Section 13B states that the parties can jointly move a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce in the District Court on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

The Court shall then record the joint statement of the Parties and pass a First Motion Order giving time of 6 month to the parties to resolve their dispute, however in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce. 

You may initiate the process of Mutual Divorce by reaching out to a Lawyer who will file the petition on your behalf.

The answer to the next part of your question is yes, you can file the papers for Divorce in Punjab itself also. Divorce can be filed either in the location of your matrimonial home (where you resided after your marriage) or at your current residential location.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action, if needed.