quesComplaint to mahila aayog not helpful. How to get in laws punished?

My sister has been a victim of domestic violence by her husband and in laws. When this continued for quite some time, we filed a complaint with the Mahila Aayog but nothing has changed / improved.


Now we are in a situation where we see no possibility of sending our sister back to her husband's home and want to ensure that her husband and in laws are subjected to the maximum punishment for the abuse and violence they have given to my sister.


What all legal routes do we have through which we can ensure that the culprits get a lesson and do not have it easy after what has been done by them.


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      We understand your sister's plight and would suggest that in case she is being subjected to physical violence by her husband and / or in laws, it should not be taken lightly and more so as your appeal to the Mahila Aayog has not really resulted in the situation getting any better.


      Firstly we would suggest your sister to register a complaint for cruelty under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code or for Domestic Violence under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act or both.


      We would like to specify that the complaint under Indian Penal Code is a Criminal Complaint while the Complaint under Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act is more of civil nature. The criminal complaint made against your sister's husband and his family will ensure they are punished and penalized for their wrong doings and harassment meted out towards your sister.


      Thereafter your sister can file a complaint before the Court praying for Protective Orders, Monetary Relief, compensation orders and even custody orders in case she has a child.


      Furthermore, she can also claim maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. 


      Click here to find the best divorce lawyer in your city.


    • File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers
      Know More

      Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    I want divorce from my husband but he don't want. I m Dr. I get…
    i am Hindu,In my mcd.execution( 5 year old) case 3arrest warrant were issued,but not served…
    I am 32 Years old Husband , I am in extra marital affair from last…
    I m a Muslim I want to have a proof of my husbands income. He…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

     Experience: 17 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>