Can passport be impounded as case is pending of DV

I am undergoing a divorce since 2 years against my wife (I have filed). Immediately she has put up many cases against me for domestic violence & Civil case for maintenance. DV is not a 498 case as our marriage was more than 7 years. During the proceedings Court ordered 15000 as interim maintenance in DV case. And 35000 as interim maintenance in marriage case. I’m a jobless since the whole problem started and am unable to pay such a huge interim. We tried to have a settlement out of court but she is asking for huge sums of money, nearly 80 lacs and a house. I am in no position to pay such amounts.I have put up an appeal in the high court as I’m unable to pay such huge amount. But as per the high court I have to pay the arrears before they can proceed with my request. The arrears have piled up to nearly 1450000. I can not pay such big amount. My lawyer has advised me to go absconding until she compromises. Can she request passport auth to impound my passport. I have summons pending.

Answers (1)

63 votes

Dear client,
Your case is pending in courts and matters are going on. court always passed orders as per income of the husband and after considering your income court would have passed the have to comply the orders of the Hon'ble High Court, thereafter your matter will be heard by the court and you may get relief from the court in your favour. once you appeared in the court then you should follow the orders and fight your matter on merit. to abscond will not to be permanent solution in your matter and your Passport may be impound by the court in case court find your conduct unfair or unjust.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles