Can my sister get divorce from her hubby and get compensation as well?

In Divorce Law

My sister and her hubby are not living together after the day they got married. Now she has one daughter and wants to get Divorce & compensation for herself and her daughter.

Please help.

Answers (1)

428 votes

In case your brother-in-law is also interested in getting a Divorce, then he and your sister can apply for divorce by mutual consent. Your sister can have the custody of the child, while your brother-in-law can give permanent alimony and stridhan to your sister and provide for maintenance of the child.

However, in case your brother-in-law is not interested and is not agreeable to the same, then your sister can file for divorce, under various grounds, provided under the Hindu Marriage Act and can apply for maintenance for herself and the child under the said Act as well as the Maintenace Act. 

Grounds for Divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 are as follows:

Adultery / Cruelty / Desertion / Conversion to another religion / Mental Disorder / Leprosy / Venereal Disease / Renunciation / Not Heard Alive / No Resumption of Co-habitation.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles