can my friend get divorce from her husband in a 2 months old marriage

My friend got married 2 months ago and now she wants a divorce from her husband.

How can she get that?

Also, can her husband ask for a maintenance from her?


For filing for divorce under Hindu Marriage Act there is legal constrain that a minimum of 1 year has to lapse before filing for divorce. Hence your friend has to wait for at least a year for filing divorce petition.'

Now with respect your second query Husband can claim maintenance only under the following circumstances:- 


24. Maintenance Pendente lite and expenses proceedings. Where in
any proceeding under this Act it appears to the court that either the
wife or the husband, as the case may be, has no independent
income sufficient for her or his support and the necessary expenses of
the proceeding, it may, on the application of the wife or the husband,
order the respondent to pay to the petitioner the expenses of the
proceeding, and monthly during the proceeding such sum as, having
regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the
respondent, it may seem to the court to be reasonable.

However, if a person is capable for earning and well educated, no maintenance can be claimed.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My elder brother is serving life imprisonment & for 11 years since arrest of my elder brother I am looking after his wife and two children & t…

Read More

Husband not wiling to pay for my maintenance. What should I do?…

Read More

Does court cease joint (joint account of Sister in law & Husband)account also if husband not able to give maintinance to wife? (2) Can we go to hi…

Read More

I want to ask few questions 1. What are the rights of women protection act against divorce ? 2. Can I claim for a maintenence and belongings after div…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue