Can mutual consent divorce be withdrawn

I along with my husband filed for a mutual consent divorce. However I don’t want to go ahead with the second motion as I see some hope of saving my marriage. I think my husband also wants to withdraw the divorce but his parents are forcing otherwise. What can I do to stop the divorce? If the Family court dismisses the joint mutual petition, can the husband or his parents file for contested divorce?

Answers (1)

462 votes
If you want to stop the divorce proceedings, you must make an application before court that you want to with draw your consent as you want to save your marriage. Take the help of your lawyer and make such an application and submit it in the court where your divorce proceeding is going on.

You must have a word with your husband and if he agrees, both of you can mutually withdraw the case, and the court may dismiss the petition.

Yes, if the court dismisses the mutual divorce petition, the husband can file for a contested divorce under any of the grounds mentioned in Hindu Marriage Act. However his parents, that is, your in-laws cannot file for divorce of you and your husband. Only husband and wife are party to a divorce proceeding.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles