quesCan I seek eviction of my wife from my self-owned property.

I intend to divorce my wife due to various nature of cruelty inflicted on me by her since many years. I stay with my wife and my 14-year old daughter in an apartment which is solely purchased by me and the ownership of the apartment is solely in my name. Can I through court of law seek an order to evict my wife ( who refuses to leave and threatens me that she will seek claim on my property ) from my self-owned apartment and to shift her to a rented apartment for which I am willing to pay the rent. My daughter can stay with me or my wife as she desires. I need to then sell my property.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans

      As  per law you cannot evict your wife during the divorce petition. There judgement wherein court have observed that woman has right to residence at husband self acquired property and can contest the divorce petition from the same house.Your wife can file case under domestic violence and seek right to residence.

      Further if you want your wife should leave the house then you are liable to give your wife a separate accommodation.

      With respect to your regarding divorce, you can file divorce petition under Section 13(1) of Hindu Marriage seeking dissolution of marriage on the ground of cruelty.

      Further  since your child is minor, so as per provision of law you are liable to maintain your daughter. Therefore, there are possibility that your wife can file a case of maintenance under Section 125 CRPC  thereby seeking maintenance

    • anssince the apartment is the shared household of your wife and daughter, you cannot get them evicted as a matter of right. She can file cases against you if you disturb her peaceful possession. As you are saying, you are seeking divorce, you file your divorce petition, the court may refer you to mediation where you can negotiate with your wife. you need to settle this condition with your wife or wait till the disposal of the case.

      Advocate Shikha Pandey

        Greater Kailash-1, Delhi

    • File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers
      Know More

      Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    Hindu, Married for 3 yrs. One 2 yr old son. From day 1 my Husband…
    Me and my wife got separated 4 months after our (Hindu) marriage, we have not…

    Total duration of my marriage is 5 months. Me and my wife are ready to…

    We are 4 children Named A,B,C,D. My parents had ancestral property which includes the house…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

     Experience: 17 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly