Can i get divorce if husband is missing for past 4 years and re marry?

How can I get a Divorce if my husband is untraceable and I haven’t spoken to him since the last 4 years? I got married 4 years ago against my wish and after 4 days of my marriage my in laws sent me back to my home. Since then I am not in touch with my husband and my in laws who live in another city.


I am in Gurgaon. What should I do now as I want to get married again?




Assuming you are a Hindu, your marriage will be governed by Hindu Marriage Act 1955. 


Deserting one’s spouse without a valid reason amounts to cruelty and a ground for valid ground for divorce. Section 13 (1) (ia) which specifically deals with cruelty and Section 13 (1) (ib) wherein law clearly states if the respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition, petition may be presented for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce on this ground.


The section 13 (1) (ia) and Section 13 (2) (ib) read are as under:


a. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or


b. has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition.


Therefore, in view of above mentioned Section, you can file a divorce petition against your husband.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hello team, I am looking for divorce and my marriage date is 01/12/2016 3 month only ...What I need to do..I got pregnant as well ...So what will be m…

Read More

hi sir,in my 17 age i got married now 27 years no child.but problem was my husband side.we are take more treatment.but no child till now.for hospital …

Read More

Me and my husband had filed for mutual consent in june 2018. As he stays abroad, he couldnt come for the joint apperances and he would not be coming i…

Read More

Hindu . Wife is away for 3years. What are the advantages of filing under article 9a or disadvantages of filing petition for divorce. Marriage seems ir…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue