Can I file domestic violence case against my in laws

Dear lawyers, After going through several documents available on internet,I realized that the abuses I face at my inlaws face come under DV. I'm interested in filling a DV against my husband and my in laws but I have some confusion which I'm noting down below - 1. My matrimonial home and my husband's household are in different district of the same state.If I need to file a DV, I need support of my parents but they are sick and travelling to my in laws place is bit of a challenge for them. I was wondering if I can file a DV from my parents place?

Answers (1)

55 votes

For the  purpose of  jurisdiction  for  filing  divorce  petition ,  there  are three place  for  conferring territorial jurisdiction  1. where the marriage  took place 2. Place where the respondent  resided 3. The parties last resided  together 
you can file  such  proceeding  any  where  of the places  stated above 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles