Can I change my religion and get married w/o divorcing the 1st wife?

Can I convert to Islam from Hindu and go for a 2nd marriage without divorcing my 1st wife? I a hindu married guy having a son and want to marry my muslim girlfriend, but my hindu wife is not agreeing to give me a Divorce. If I change my religion into islam in that case can I marry my girlfriend?

Is there any complication in this case? I want to do all this in a legal manner, so please guide me.

Answer

No, you cannot change your religion just to remarry. The same strategy was followed by the Actor Dharmendra and the second marriage had been held as illegal by the competent court.

You need to get a valid divorce decree from the Court of law before you can marry another girl. Therefore, you need to file a petition for decree of dissolution of marriage on any of the grounds mentioned under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act.