Can i be sent to jail if i filed a false affidavit in court?

I made an affidavit in court stating I am unemployed to claim maintenance from husband. But few months later I got a job offer and I joined the same.

Now my husband has filed a case against me saying that I filed a false affidavit. Am I liable? It is true that I was unemployed at that time. Please help me. Can I be sent to jail for this? How can I avoid this mess?

Answer

Filing a false affidavit is criminal offence of perjury.

But in your case you can file a fresh affidavit enclosing copy of your appointment letter which would clearly show that you were employed subsequently.

You can also narrate the same facts to the magistrate and police and the criminal case will stand dismissed.

However when got a job you should have informed court. Never conceal facts from court.

You can’t be held liable according to the facts given by you.