quesCan husband stop giving maintenance if I shift to another state?

Does my husband have the right to not give me the maintenance money if I shift to another location? I am a divorcee and after my divorce my husband, as maintenance amount gives me 24,000 per month. My in laws are not aware about our Divorce.


I live in Meerat and want to shift to Delhi with my child. My husband is now making the shifting process difficult by saying he will not pay a single penny if we move to Delhi.  


What should I do?


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      No, he cannot deny you your legally entitled maintenance amount on the grounds of you shifting from Meerut to Delhi.


      He is legally under an obligation to provide you maintenance amount irrespective of your place and in case he stops giving you the maintenance amount, you can file a petition claiming the maintenance under the Indian Penal Code, 1860 and the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.


      If this amount was fixed by the Court when the Divorce was granted then you may even file a petition for contempt of court as he is disobeying Court Orders.


    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    Hi sir my husband get ex parte decree my question is if they is any…

    Sir My son got married last year on 24th Jan. 2015. His wife stayed with…

    My sister works as a government school teacher and my brother in law working in…

    After 4 months of marriage husband asked me to open a joint account wid him…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly