quesAm i entitled to maintenance if i am a working woman?

I have been harassed mentally and physically throughout during my marriage of 8 years, and had even made complaints by dialing 100 twice last year wherein the Police came but all other family members persuaded me not to file a formal FIR.


Now I have moved back to my parent's place and want t Divorce wherein my husband is not ready for it. I have a 7 year old daughter as well.


Please advise the best way to get a Divorce and to ensure that I get the maximum possible maintenance amount for my daughter and myself.


I am working - can I still file for my maintenance as well?


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      Firstly you should register a complaint in the the Police Station or in the Crime Against Women Cell against your husband and in-laws for the offence of cruelty (both physical and mental) under the Indian Penal Code and even for offences under the Protection of women from domestic violence Act.


      Thereafter you should file a petition for dissolution of marriage on the grounds of cruelty both physical and mental recognised under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act. The Courts have recognised both physical and mental cruelty within the ambit of this provision.


      With respect to the maintenance, you can file a petition under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure Code and also under the Protection of Women from domestic Violence Act for maintenance and you are legally entitled for maintenance not only for yourself but also for your daughter.


      Yes, you are entitled to maintenance even if you are earning, however the amount may vary.


      Furthermore, you will even have to file a petition for custody of your daughter so as to retain the custody of your daughter.


    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    I am a christian girl. I m giving divorce to my husband eith mutual consent.…
    Married for 3 years. Now i want to live in relationship with someone else. What…
    I am 41 Muslim from Karnataka state India married in Maharashtra , 3 year back…
    There can be chance that a girl earning 18K and men earning 50 K, cannot…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly