After death of husband, in laws started torturing sister. What to do?

My sister lives in Bangalore with her in- laws. She has a daughter of 9 years.she works with SBI. Her husband passed away 6 years back in accident. She stayed at her in-laws after the incident keeping in mind that she will take care of them but from past one year they have started torturing her verbally. They are threatening to her to remarry or go back to her parents when my sister resisted they started asking for money if she wants to stay which she started paying it but things are getting worse. I want to go legal to stop this verbal torture and also want to if she is entitled for property?

Answers (1)

266 votes

She can file a criminal case for the torture considering as Domestic Violence under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005, against her Inlaws and further she is absolutely entitled to her share in the immovable/movable properties of her deceased husband along with her minor children.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles