Action against wife who is harassing and asking share in my property?

Can I take any action against my wife who is troubling, abusing and threatening me. She is also demanding share in the property to sell it. I am very much disturbed because study of our two major children is being destroyed. I also want to clarify that we do not have husband-wife relation since last five years.


Above all, she is short tempered lady. Please suggest me what should I do.




You will have to figure out as to what is that  you want out of your marriage at this stage. In case you wish to stay with your wife, then we suggest you to go to a marriage counselor and try to give your marriage another chances. If you have also decided to part ways and are looking for a Divorce, then Section 13(1) provides various grounds for seeking divorce.


Section 13(1) states that a petition may be presented by either the husband or the wife, for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground that the other party-


i. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, had voluntary, sexual intercourse with any person other than his or her spouse; or


a. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or


b. has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition; or


ii. has ceased to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion; or


iii. has been incurably of unsound mind, or has been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent. 


Explanation.- In this clause,-


a. the expression" mental disorder" means mental illness, arrested or incomplete development of mind, psychopathic disorder or any other disorder or disability of mind and includes schizophrenia;


b. the expression" psychopathic disorder" means a persistent disorder or disability of mind (whether or not including sub- normality of intelligence) which results in abnormally aggressive or seriously irresponsible conduct on the part of the other party, and whether or not it require or is susceptible to medical treatment; or


iv. has been suffering from a virulent and incurable from of leprosy; or


v. has been suffering from venereal disease in a communicable from; or


vi. has renounced the world by entering any religious order; or


vii. has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years or more by those persons who would naturally have heard of it, had that party been alive.


In view of your circumstances you can file a divorce on the ground of cruelty under Section 13(1)(ia) under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955.


Further, with respect to share in the property, it depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. If your wife is not working and she is dependent on you then according to law you are liable to give her maintenance and alimony.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I'm meantal depressed always he shout on me I can't do by my own thing I'm only wrong person from them.many time I told my problem to my m…

Read More

Ours is arranged marriage.Hindu girl Married for 4 years without a child. He was jobless within a six months of marriage. No savings but a loan of 5 l…

Read More

My sister is getting harassed  by her husband,  how can we log a complaint aganist him what are proceedure to log a complaint and book a fir…

Read More

Sir I am suffering from physical mental torture from my in-laws and husband. My in-laws influence is more on my husband.i want to live happily with my…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue