Wallet stolen. Police now blaming me for stealing car. What can i do?

In Criminal Law

A few days back someone stole my and my friend’s wallet. I had a word with the Police Station over the phone regarding this matter who asked us to register a complaint in the Police Station but I had to travel to Jammu for some urgent work. On returning back I received a call from the Station telling me that they had found my License in a stolen car and started blaming me to be the thief of the stolen car.

Now, they are asking me to report to them every day and are telling me that they will tell the CBI to inquire about me and arrest me for the same.

What can I do to safeguard myself?

Answers (1)

420 votes

Until and unless you have any written proof to substantiate that your wallet had been stolen (This may even include a record of the telephonic conversation with the Police) the things can get difficult for you.

We suggest that you should try and procure the call records from your telecom operator so as to prove that you had made the call regarding your wallet being stolen.

Moreover, you mentioned that you were in Jammu at the time of the car being stolen which is a perfect alibi for you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles