×

quesStep mother making false complaints to police. How to save myself?

After my mom died my dad married my step mom with whom my relations were not good. I left home after that and had no plans of returning until I found out that my grandmother was no more. My grandmother, in her will had given her shop to me. Since then I have been handling her shop.

But now my step mother is putting baseless and senseless allegations saying I’ve been trying to kill her. Not only this, she has also been threatening my father as well. She has gone to the Police also who are now not willing to listen to our side of the story.

What should I do?

With respect to the false case registered by your step mother, you should send a written intimation to the Police stating the facts of the case and also that you are ready to offer full cooperation in the investigation of the matter.

Furthermore, you can file a civil suit for malicious prosecution (only once you are acquitted from the Court) and defamation claiming damages and compensation for the harassment you have been subjected to.

In the alternative, you can also register a case under Section 211 of the Indian Penal Code for the offence of filing false charges against someone with the intent of causing injury or even under Section 500 for criminal defamation.