Senior Citizen Received Witness Summons

My father aged 70 years received a summons notice as a CW ( witness) yesterday. It's related to a robbery that took place 2 years ago on a construction site behind our house. So my father happened to see the thief entering our neighbor house. When he was caught the police came for enquiry and enquired few neighbors including my father. So they took the statement of everyone. Yesterday my dad received a summons (CW5) to come and attend the hearing at the civil court in ban galore to provide witness My question is - Can my father refuse to attend the hearing based on his age and health condition considering that he has co-morbidities and has high risk to get covid infection ? What are the other alternatives for us ?

yes you can give the specified reasons what you have mentioned or else your dad can attend when ever he wants to or else if he is not interested he can refuse to turn up to the court no issues and If he wants time you can ask the police to provide some more time they will provide