Not present at the place of crime. Is it enough to prove innocence?

My friend is a property consultant and has got involved in a false case wherein he along with his order partners / friends, is being accused of causing injury to the complainant. Now currently my friend is out on bail, I would like to know :

1. Can his name be omitted or deleted from the FIR since he was not present at d place of crime. 2. The proof that he was not present at d time of injury is that enough proof to prove him innocent?

Answers (1)

125 votes

No his name cannot be omitted from the FIR. 

Depending upon the offence for which your friend has been charged, if the same is compoundable, then he can settle the matter with the complainant.

However if the same is not compoundable, then he has to proceed with the matter and prove his innocence. As you are saying he was not present at the scene of the crime, then he has an alibi.

We can guide you properly only once we know the offence under which your friend has been charged. If it is such an offence for which the presence is required then he can be proven innocent by stating that he was not present at the scene of the crime. But for offences like criminal conspiracy and etc, it is immaterial if the accused was present at the scene of the crime or not.

We would like to see the FIR then we will be in better position to guide you that can  it be quashed by High Court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles