Neighbors spreading false rumors about me and family. What can i do?

What can I do if my neighbors are spreading false rumors about me and my family because we got involved in a fight? I am a divorcee and I have a son. My neighbors picked up a fight that led not only to verbal but physical abuses as well.

Some days back I heard a lot of rumors about me and my family. I stay very near to my parent’s house. I don’t want these false rumors to affect my family. Should I file an FIR against this?

What should I do about this?

Answer

You can file a complaint and register an FIR U/S 354 along with 509 against your neighbors for their verbal and physical abuses.

You have every right to live with all dignity. They are outraging your modesty by spreading such rumors. 

Regarding your physical abuse, you can also file a criminal complaint under various sections of Indian Penal Code but it all depends upon the injuries inflicted upon you by your neighbors. You can file a criminal complaint for defamation against your neighbors as well.